Thursday, August 1, 2013

Snow in Hong Kong

First of all, I want to give a big shout out to Leah's boyfriend Stu. He just had back surgery where they replaced a disk in his lower back with a metal one, in an effort to stem the back pain he's had for a long time. Seems like all of the McDaniel family guys have back pain at one point or another. Dad, Drew, Kane, and Stu. Yikes. Anyways, the surgery went "picture perfect," which was a big relief for everyone, especially Leah.


But, seeing as Stu is an avid reader of the blog, and since he will be down for the count for a few weeks, with no bending, lifting, or twisting allowed, I figured he will need some sort of entertainment aside for catching up on Game of Thrones. So, I vow starting today for the next two week, I will write every day in honor of Stu.

For the last few days, we have had rain every day. Sometimes it literally rains all day, and you never see a spot of sunshine. Very different from Denver I must say. Sometimes, we are literally inside of the cloud that's producing the rain. As you remember, we will on the 50th floor of our building, plus we are on a hill, so we are really quite high up there. This was our sunset the other night.



The funny thing is there have been a few times where I swear, I look outside, and it looks like it's snowing. The first few times I chalked it up to my vision being fuzzy, or I was "just seeing things." But it happened again today. I stood at our window, looked outside, and it was literally snowing. Of course, this makes no sense. It has never snowed in Hong Kong. Ever. It's too warm here!


But, then I thought about it, and realized what was going on. All rain starts off as snow. Fact. "All precipitation starts out as ice or snow crystals at cloud level. When this frozen precipitation falls into a layer of sufficiently warmer air (with temperatures above freezing) it melts into rain." Source: The Weather Channel. Ha! So it must be true. My theory is that sometimes the clouds form really low around the hill in the center of the island, upon which our building stands. And, since we are so high up and basically in the cloud, when it starts to rain I see it as snow for the briefest of seconds until it hits the wall of warm air and immediately melts.


This is my theory, and I'm sticking with it. As this is the only way I will be seeing snow in Hong Kong for the next 2 years, I am going to believe my theory wholeheartedly. Maybe Drew's friend Kevin Reed, Ph.D in meteorology from UofM, is reading this and shaking his head. But, like I said, I believe.








1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout, I look forward to my daily entertainment! And for feeling awesome when we all travel together!!

    ReplyDelete