Avery's birthday fell on a Sunday this year. We did our main celebrating at home on the Friday before. Kick off with chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast, of course of course. Avery got to wear "street clothes" to school instead of his uniform, so we let him open up one of his presents early, a Ronaldo jersey from Nana and Papa. The smiles abounded. I didn't even notice that the jersey number coincidentally matched his new age, but he picked up on that right away. He also took donut holes to school to share with the class. Don't mind the long hair. Avery is choosing not to cut it right now. We'll see how long it lasts.

Dinner was a menu of his choice, which is our tradition now, which included mac and cheese, but not the "healthy kind" that I normally make which is doctored up with peas and chicken. "Just the noodles and sauce, Mom." Lol, making my life easy kid, I appreciate that. Peppers and blue berries completed the menu. Avery was not as easy going with his cake request. I want a cake that is half chocolate and half vanilla. With blue frosting, the sugary kind that Dad likes. Topped with blueberries and chocolate chips. I did my best.

The rest of the presents included a World Cup album where the boys can officially stick in all of the stickers they have been collecting and a few packs of the stickers themselves. Avery was thrilled when one of the packs had Ronaldo in it, matching his jersey. I originally said I wouldn't be buying the album or packs and stickers, and yet here we are, but about 2 months too late. Boys were still over the moon about it though.

The main birthday wish was that he wanted to ski on his literal birthday, as that is something impossible to do in the states. We could see a big snowstorm was due to hit on Saturday night. So, we drove up the 40 curves to La Parva, which is one of the 3 ski resorts up a valley just outside of the city. We got there around 11:30am, and by 1pm it was snowing HARD, so timed that perfectly. We camped in our van overnight, which luckily has a diesel heater, keeping us warm and more importantly, capable of drying all of our wet snow gear. We skied La Parva on Sunday, which was fun as another family was able to join as well, so all the kids could ski together. It was a powder day for sure, as they received around 8 inches overnight. Drew took off before sun-up to hike up and get in a few runs before the lifts officially opened. I brought the kids over around 10am, and we skied til around 3pm. Boys and I are still getting used to skiing on powder, but we had alot of fun trying.
On Monday, we kept the boys out of school and skied Valle Nevado, which is in the same valley but on the other side of the hill. By the time we packed up, drove the 45min over there, and got everyone geared up, we didn't hit the slopes until 11am. But it was a gorgeous blue bird day, so we skied literally all day til the lifts closed at 5pm. The ski resorts here are interesting because they are all above tree line. So there is so much skiable terrain, especially on a powder day, that we could still find fresh lines all day. Fun times.
On Sunday night we had a gorgeous sunset seen from the van!
One other fun item I'd like to mention is that after watching Drew and I play lots of euchre at Drummond, the boys are officially learning how to play. So we have two burgeoning euchre players here now, and we can actually play together as a family! Cue heart warming vibes.
No comments:
Post a Comment